Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Personal Review


The American dream, parties, affairs, past-loves, and death together all produce a very intriguing storyline. The Great Gatsby written by F. Scott Fitzgerald is one of my top five favorite books that I have yet to read in high school. The novel began very slowly for me and it was difficult to really become interested in it. The moment that I was captured by the book though, was when Gatsby called Jordan into the house at one of his parties where they talked for an hour. Rumors were always spread about who Gatsby was, where he had been, and what he has done, and at that moment I knew I would find some truth in him. As love interests grew between characters, the book became more interesting as well as quite scandalous. The plot never really reached a suitable conclusion. Although it was a tragic ending, the alternative would have been too predictable. Throughout the novel, Fitzgerald does an impressive job of painting pictures and implementing many rhetorical strategies that unfold every aspect of each character and their thoughts.  Surprisingly, my favorite part was not about the story at all. The fact that Nick Carraway was the narrator made the book seem more like I was watching a movie. I was entertained because at some points he would directly speak to the reader. This was a unique approach, but I truly enjoyed reading this book

No comments:

Post a Comment